You already know that smoking is bad for your health – we won’t insult you by reiterating the point again. However, we hope that if we can appeal to your vanities, quitting may be more appealing to you…
Here are a few unattractive qualities that we tend to see in most of our smoking patients:
- Discolored teeth
- Bad breath
- Increased buildup of plaque and tartar
- Increased bone loss
- Increased risk of tooth loss
- Lower success rate of dental implants once all those teeth fall out
But if cosmetics aren’t that big of a deal for you, think about these not so pleasant side effects of your habit:
- Inflammation of the salivary glands, causing openings in the roof of the mouth
- Increased risk of leukoplakia, or white patches in the mouth (both aesthetically concerning and a health hazard)
- Increased risk of gum disease (the leading cause of tooth loss)
- Delayed healing time following tooth extraction, oral surgery or other comprehensive treatment
- Increased risk of oral cancer, which has little more than 50% survival rate if left undetected past the first stages
So, we know that you know that smoking is bad for your health, but we figured if you’re going to do it, you should at least know all of the facts, and that smoking does come with some very unattractive side effects.
If anything, consider your smile! Visit us today at http://www.paragondentalinc.com/general-dentist-papillion/ to see how we can help you kick the habit and recreate the beautiful smile of your pre-smoking days.